See a list of all the available courses and a link to download the prospectus to check the course requirements at the bottom of this article
2024 UNDERGRADUATE APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN
Application Helpdesk Enquiries: +27 51 4019111 or email [email protected]
HOW DO YOU APPLY?
APPLICATION TO STUDY AT THE UFS IS FREE
The online application is quick and easy – no hassle, no fuss! It has an easy and modern design and is mobileand tablet-friendly. You can apply using any device. You can expect a quicker response time if you apply online. APPLICATION TO STUDY AT THE UFS IS FREE Visit https://apply.ufs.ac.za. Keep your mobile phone and an active email address ready, as you require both to access and complete the online application form. Proceed through all the steps and submit your electronic application. Make sure that you complete the application form properly, e.g., if you need on-campus residence accommodation or financial aid, indicate this in the relevant section.
Upload copies of the following in PDF or JPEG format when you apply for undergraduate studies:
• Your ID if you are a South African citizen • Your passport if you are an international student
• Your parent’s ID or passport if you are younger than 18
• Your final Grade 11 results with the school’s stamp • National Senior Certificate (NSC) or Grade 12 IEB certificate if you have already matriculated
• Your academic record, only if you are/were a student at another institution of higher learning
• USAf accreditation from the examination board for South African universities.
Apply to mb.usaf. ac.za for conditional exemption, foreign conditional exemption, or mature age conditional exemption. A Universities South Africa (USAf) Certificate of Exemption is required if you do not have an Endorsed South African Senior Certificate. If you are eligible for the certificate, but have not yet applied for it, UFS will assist you with the process. Therefore, you can apply before receiving the required certificate.
TO BECOME A STUDENT AT THE UNIVERSITY OF THE FREE STATE, YOU NEED TO
• apply for two study options – if one option is a selection programme, we advise you to choose a non-selection programme as the second option, because space is limited;
• be finally admitted with your final Grade 12 NSC or IEB results;
• pay the prescribed first payment five (5) working days prior to registration; and
• register in 2023 before classes start.
APPLICATIONS AND ADMISSION TO UFS
7 EASY STEPS
STEP 1: Apply online. Visit https://apply.ufs.ac.za
STEP 2: Your application is submitted. You will receive a student number and acknowledgement of your application. If you have not submitted the required documents, you will be requested to do so in order to finalise your application.
STEP 3: Your application is evaluated by the university. Should your evaluation be positive, you will receive a conditional offer to study – SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY OF SPACE. Selection programmes are excluded. If you have indicated in your application that you require on-campus residence, you will also receive correspondence from Housing and Residence Affairs. Note that qualifying for your programme of choice, does not guarantee admission.
STEP 4: You need to source and secure financial support for your studies.
STEP 5: When the final Grade 12 results are released in January 2022, all applications will be re-evaluated; should your evaluation be positive, you will receive a final offer. Take note that meeting the minimum admission requirements for your programme of choice does not guarantee admission.
STEP 6: You have to complete the online acceptance process for the offer within the stipulated timeframe. If you fail to complete the acceptance process for the offer before the deadline, the offer will be withdrawn, and you will lose your space. Note that limited spaces are available.
STEP 7: Pay the prescribed first payment before registration. You can move into the residence on campus where you have been placed, or into off-campus accommodation, and then start your academic activities, including orientation, academic advice, and registration.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO STUDY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF THE FREE STATE?
For degree studies at the University of the Free State, we expect that:
• you have an NSC or NCV with an endorsement that allows entrance to degree studies (Bachelor’s degree) or an equivalent qualification;
• you meet all the minimum admission requirements for the programme you intend to study. Meeting the minimum admission requirements for your chosen/intended programme of study does not guarantee admission, as limited spaces are available in each programme;
• you have a minimum level of 4 (50%) in English Home Language or English First Additional Language; and
• you must pass certain school subjects with a minimum level of achievement in order to take a certain university module. For example, you must get a mark of 70% for Mathematics in Grade 12 if you plan to study BSc majoring in Physics with Engineering subjects. Please refer to the section on the faculty-specific admission requirements, which also includes the respective compulsory subjects and achievement levels required per programme.
Here are all the available courses:
Available programmes 72
1. Faculty Economic & Management Sciences
- Higher Certificate in Economic and Management Sciences
- Bachelor of Commerce specialization in Management
- Bachelor of Commerce in Law
- Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor of Administration
2. Faculty of Natural & Agriculture Sciences
- Bachelor of Science: Geography
- Bachelor of Science Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science majoring in Physics and Engineering Subjects
- Bachelor of Science majoring in Forensic Science
- Bachelor of Science majoring in Climate Sciences
- Bachelor of Science majoring in Agricultural Economics
- Bachelor of Science majoring in Actuarial Sciences
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology: Chemical & Physical Sciences
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology majoring in Data Science
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology majoring in Computer Science and Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology majoring in Computer Science and Business Management
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Economics and Management
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Physical Sciences
- Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences
- Bachelor of Science Agriculture
- Bachelor of Computer Information Systems
- Bachelor of Agriculture: Agricultural Economics
- Bachelor of AgricultureBSc Building Sciences Open Learning
- Bachelor of Sustainable Food Systems
- Bachelor of Science: Statistics
- Bachelor of Science: Physics
- Bachelor of Science: Mathematical Statistics
- Bachelor of Science: Geology, Geosciences
- Bachelor of Science: Geography, Statistics, Information
- Bachelor of Science: Biological Sciences
3. Faculty of Education
- Diploma in Grade R Teaching
- BEd Foundation Phase
- BEd Intermediate Phase
- BEd Senior and FET Phase
4. Faculty of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Sport Coaching
- Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Science in Dietetics
- Bachelor of Optometry
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- Bachelor of Medical Science with specialization in Radiation Science
- Bachelor of Biokinetics
5. Faculty of Law
- Bachelor of Laws
6. Faculty of the Humanities
- Higher Certificate in Humanities
- Higher Certificate in Music Performance
- Diploma in Music
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Social Science
- Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Arts in Language Practice
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism
- Bachelor of Arts in Integrated Organizational Communication
- Bachelor of Arts in Governance and Political Transformation
- Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Arts in Drama and Theatre Arts
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Community Development
7. Faculty of Theology & Religion
- Higher Certificate in Theology
- Bachelor of Divinity
- Advanced Diploma in Theology