The Brunei Darussalam Government is offering scholarships for South Africans to study full-time, on-campus diplomas, undergraduate degrees, and master's programmes starting in July/August 2023 at the following participating public Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Brunei Darussalam:
Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD);
Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali (UNISSA);
Universiti Teknologi Brunei (UTB);
Kolej Universiti Perguruan Ugama Seri Begawan (KUPU SB);
Politeknik Brunei (PB)
The link for information on the scholarship is https://www.mfa.gov.bn/online-bdgs.
Degree level Diploma, Bachelor’s and Master’s
Deadlines The deadline for submitting applications to the DHET is 15 February 2023.
- International students studying for the first time in Brunei Darussalam;
- Applicants must be younger than 25 for Undergraduate and Diploma programmes and younger than 35 for Master’s studies, by 01 July 2023;
- Be proficient in English;
- Applicants must be in good health and have a strong academic record;
- There may be an interview requirement and a written examination to measure the applicant's proficiency in English/ Malay/ Arabic language (where applicable) as determined by the institution offering the programme.
Field of study
For more information regarding programmes, entry requirements, and additional information, please see the following websites:
Universiti Brunei Darussalam Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali Universiti Teknologi Brunei Kolej Universiti Perguruan Ugama Seri Begawan (KUPU SB) Politeknik Brunei
What the scholarship offers
- Tuition fees including acceptance, examination, registration and orientation fees for the duration of the programme;
- Economy class return air-ticket;
- University accommodation;
- Monthly Stipend: BND$500.00 (approximately R5600);
- Monthly meals allowance: BND$150.00 (approximately R1700);
- Annual book allowance: BND$600.00 (approximately R6700);
- Baggage allowance for shipment of the scholarship recipient’s personal belongings upon completion of study programme, at a maximum amount of BND$500.00 (approximately R5600);
- Medical insurance (Scholarship recipients are urged to obtain additional insurance prior to travel to Brunei Darussalam).
Applications are strictly online via the BDGS Application Portal.
Applicants applying to Universiti Brunei Darussalam must also complete an online application at: https://apply.ubd.edu.bn/orbeon/uis-welcome/.
- The following supporting documents should be uploaded on the application system:
- Recent passport size photograph;
- Certified true copies of academic qualifications and other supporting documents (i.e. certificates, testimonials, transcripts);
- Certified English translations of supporting documents must be submitted for documents that are not in English;
- Certified true copies of Birth Certificate and Passport;
- References and recommendations from referees. (C1 and C2)
Contact: All enquiries should be directed to [email protected]
Documents and links
Government of Brunei Darussalam Scholarship
BDGS Application Form
Reference letters C1 and C2
Please note that this opportunity is not offered by the Department of Higher Education and Training. Applicants are required to undertake their own research into programmes and institutions and are responsible for ensuring that the qualifications will be recognised in South Africa. If there are any discrepancies in the details provided, the information given by the sponsor supersedes the details provided above. No additional financial support will be provided by the Department of Higher Education and Training.
Post by SA International Scholarships